Best Cannabis Seed-to-Sale Tracking Software Upkeeping your marijuana products is like a farmer tending his many crops. You want to produce high-quality plants to keep your clientele coming back Discover the best seed to sale software for cannabis cultivators, manufacturers and distributors to scale their businesses in 2022.
Best Cannabis Seed-to-Sale Tracking Software
Upkeeping your marijuana products is like a farmer tending his many crops. You want to produce high-quality plants to keep your clientele coming back for more or your business will collapse and rot like unattended plants. You’re probably wondering if there’s a solution to help you manage the cultivation and allocation of your cannabis-based products to customers. In a word: Yes. It’s seed-to-sale software, a type of manufacturing ERP software that manages your cannabis from the early planting stages to distribution.
It’s apparent the legalized marijuana industry isn’t going away anytime soon. According to MarketsandMarkets, the cannabis market will reach $90.4 billion by 2026. So why not invest in a proper cannabis ERP software? Our distinguished research team worked hard to compile this intricate list of the best seed-to-sale software. We highly recommend you peruse our sections to learn about this type of software, its benefits and some of the typical tools found within this type of solution before jumping into our list.
Table of Contents
As mentioned above, seed-to-sale software is a type of cannabis software that manages the marijuana supply chain from growing to allocation at various dispensaries. This type of application also lays out complete processes licensed operators should follow to track their cannabis inventory and stay compliant with local and nationally established regulations. There are also integrated seed-to-sale or cannabis software leveraged for plant tracking, inventory control, sales information and real-time reporting compliance for stateside monitoring platforms. Chances are, if the software isn’t integrated, then it’s not automatically delivering compliance information as you enter data into your applications.
Cannabis ERP systems come with a string of benefits for each stage of managing your marijuana products.
Cultivators have perks when it comes to growing and maintaining their stock of cannabis plants. A seed-to-sale tracking system’s advantages include:
Watching and studying harvest data to catch bottlenecks and enhance yields.
Seed-to-sale reviews say manufacturers gain thorough advantages in their marijuana processing and manufacturing practices. The benefits cannabis grow software provide include:
- Converting products into one or several by-products like plants into oils or oils into edibles with ease while keeping a thorough chain of custody that logs cost-per-gram calculations, alerts and recalls.
- Building invoices and purchase orders for archiving and protected compliant business operations.
- Labeling your inventory with key product information such as ingredients, potency results, expiration dates and even bolts products that reach or exceed their expiration dates.
According to a comparison of seed-to-sale software, cannabis dispensaries and retailers gain some perks from these solutions. These perks are:
- Effortlessly initiating discounts and loyalty campaigns for customers in reference to dates, merchandise, times, brands and more.
- Establishing purchase limits based on type and equivalency so you stay aligned with regulations and never over dispense patients or customers.
- Drafting customer profiles to maintain them like regulars by recording special and medical preferences, purchase history, rewards points, birthdays, etc.
Like snowflakes, no two seed-to-sale software are exactly the same. Each comes with its own unique modules and extensions. However, there are some common features to keep an eye on.
- Cultivation Management: An epitome cultivation management accessory on a Cannabis growing software oversees the growing process of your cannabis as well as the ability to track the location of any plant for easy navigation.
- Manufacturing Management: This module supervises your manufacturing processes from uprooting to fine-tuning and everything in-between.
- Distribution Management: An exemplar distribution management feature can take and formulate orders with real-time inventory feeds and even automate order fulfillment operations.
- Retail Management: It’s possible for you to check gross profit, revenue, budtender performance, labor costs, on-hand stock and more with a handy retail component.
- Inventory Management: An ideal inventory management tool can allocate exclusive ID and barcode numbers for your various types of cannabis as well as chronicle all of your inventory.
Remember to choose solutions and features that best mesh with your manufacturing and cannabis practices. If you need more requirements or features, review our adjustable template or detailed article.
Best Seed-to-Sale Software
Now that you’ve gathered a thorough outline of the features and requirements needed, it’s time to browse our picks of the best seed-to-sale software around.
MJ Platform is a cloud-based solution tailored to the cannabis industry’s cultivators, manufacturers, retailers, distributors and delivery teams. Thanks to its mobile-friendly interface, you gain complete transparency of your products, customers, employees and vendors 24/7.
A preview of MJ Platform’s plant forecasting module.
This solution has several advantages that set it apart from its competitors.
- Business Intelligence (BI): Obtain real-time information via data visualizations to gauge trends and formulate improved estimates.
- Globalization and Localization: Garner data from various locations and perform multi-currency transactions with ease.
- Customer Integration: Permit platform partners to request API access to produce tailored integrations.
- Third-Party Integration: Merge this software with other programs for accounting, cultivation, HR, payroll, CRM and more.
- Customizable Loyalty Programs: Utilize the point-of-sale (POS) system to document data for users to develop customizable discounts and loyalty programs to reward patrons.
- Role-Based Training: Implement role-based recorded training for all roles within the company.
Oversee Growth Procedures
Through the cultivation management accessory, it’s feasible for you to manage your growing operations across all of your worksites. This accessory enables you to track the precise whereabouts of each plant, which of your staff members have interacted with a particular plant during its lifecycle and how each portion of the marijuana plant was used or discarded. This feature also plans every stage of the hemp cultivation operation such as bending and securing, topping, FIMing (a particular pruning or trimming practice used on cannabis plants during their growth stage to train them to grow more of its valuable compounds), cloning, fertilization, harvesting, drying and curing. You can also initiate the tracking of nutrient mixes by plant grouping to follow the costs of goods, review the plant and product growing procedures and implement business intelligence to evaluate cultivation reports.
Administer Manufacturing Processes
It’s conceivable for cannabis and cannabidiol (CBD) manufacturers to supervise every facet of their materials and vendors in one place because of MJ Platform’s manufacturing management accessory. Incorporated seed-to-sale tracking functions notify you about the amount and location of every factor of the supply chain. Thanks to this cannabis grow software, you are also able to:
- Trace costs by day, hour, method, employee, product line and square foot
- Construct reminders for supply re-orders
- Estimate future sales to serve their clients with more products
- Administer vendors and gain access to their product’s sell-through insights
Stay on Top of Distribution
Distributors may control costs, manage inventory circulation and furnish more of the client’s requested products on shelves with the distribution management tool. You receive real-time visualizations and analytic extensions to understand past, present and projected performances of a distributor as well as:
- Overlook sales and inventory
- Track shipments and deliveries
- Gain marketing insights in three scopes: real-time, past trends and predictive futures
- Determine future estimates for customer traffic and sales
Gain Clear Visibility of Revenue
MJ Platform’s retail management module administers all of the retail operations as well as assist marijuana dispensaries in receiving a clear picture of things like:
- Gross profit and revenue
- Budtender performance
- On-hand inventory
- Labor costs
- Future estimations of customer traffic and sales
This tool employs historical data of customer purchase history and traffic patterns to formulate forthcoming merchandise trends. You may watch inventory levels by individual shops or in all locations at once as well as utilize the point-of-sale (POS) application to oversee inventory, incoming sales, customer base and compliances. The POS program can also aid in creating personalized discount offers, coupons, loyalty programs and customer tiers to extend rewards to their top patients or customers.
MJ Platform has most of the common accessories, but there are additional tools to streamline your cannabis operations. These tools include:
- Team Management: This module enables you to surveil the quality and performance of your team by assigning and planning tasks.
- Delivery Management: Establish schedules, develop delivery routes, watch everything that occurs in delivery services, implement OnFleet integrations, use real-time data to manage inventory and revenue, supervise fleet and labor and calculate potential future inventory requirements with this accessory.
- Compliance Management: This feature stashes cannabis company information and shares the statistics with regulators who are requesting audits as well as send warnings to you when your compliance is in jeopardy.
- Collaboration: Communications tools follow orders, invoices, payments, statuses and send re-ordering alerts and invoice reminders thanks to the collaboration feature.
Like most ERPs, this program has a few limitations. These drawbacks include:
- Not offering a free trial.
- Lacks applications for iOS and Android devices.
Company Size Suitability: S M L
Viridian Sciences is a cloud-based software that caters to cannabis businesses of all sizes, cannabis and hemp producers, processes, distributors and retailers. It manages everything from sales and customer relationships to operations and financials.
An example of Viridian Science’s demand forecasting accessory.
Viridian Sciences offers several differentiators that separate it from its competitors.
- HR Management: Track training, contracts, reviews, performance and other attributes more efficiently.
- Farm Equipment Management: Track cultivation equipment and hemp processing with financial and usage tools for everything from tractors to bud sorters and trimmers, among others.
- Quality Control Management: Trace every attribute of your goods such as microbiological, nutrients, moisture, potency, contaminants, etc.
- CRM: Build and administer personal business relationships and agreements with vendors. Allocate retailer access to the CRM module to create a knowledge base that details how to serve clients.
- Financials and Tax Reporting: Merge Viridian Sciences with SAP Business One for optimal financial tracking, evaluation and tax reporting.
- Third-Party eCommerce Integration: Allow users to merge with third-party eCommerce programs such as Irish Titan, Code, Navigator and more.
Map Out the Growth Process
You are able to record and monitor every stage of the seed-to-sale process by mapping each cannabis plant’s growth requirements such as space, water, light and fertilizer with the help of the cultivation management module. It tracks crucial information for each stage of the plant’s lifecycle, predicts the completion of growth and allows growers to set estimated goals while employing grades during harvesting, drying and curing. This tool also integrates with barcode scanners, digital scales and label printers.
Adapt to All Manufacturing Processes
The manufacturing management accessory can handle all types of production practices and steps. It streamlines the following manufacturing elements:
- Materials resource planning (MRP)
- Production orders
- Quality control
- Real-time analytics and reporting
When this tool combines with SAP Business One’s crystal reports, you are able to build specialized labels of products including patient information, barcodes and more. This tool enables manufacturers to monitor forecasted and actual cannabis quantities resulting from item production or adjust batches and processed items as well as expected completion times. You are also permitted to create estimated item usage with SAP’s statistical engine application for new ingredients such as tactical ordering forecast, procurement forecasting, replenishment management and scheduling agreements.
Aids in Every Facet of Distribution
Distributors can supervise their supply chain with replenishment rules, stock levels and seasonal adjustments in their workflows to chronicle vendors, supplies, products and pricing history with the distribution management feature. This tool also implements demand organization extensions to predict customer purchases and costs by utilizing historical data and administering long-term contracts with vendors and customers. It’s possible to execute automated order fulfillment techniques with zones and locators to produce cannabis distribution trip reports.
Arrange and Record Retail Information
Viridian Sciences’ retail management assists retailers in overviewing and recording customer profiles, reporting, employee performance, inventory and in-store marketing among other things. It’s equipped with a POS platform that includes a customer portal for full clarity of customer transactions and product information. The POS function is available on computers and mobile devices to assist retailers with several methods of operations such as:
- Crafting orders, invoices and shipments
- Following all merchandise and items
- Keeping a knowledge base of information to aid clientele
- Supervising marketing campaigns
- Preserving a complete audit trail
This tool can establish customer profiles, adjust buy online and pick up in-store (BOPIS) controls, modify labels and receipts to cooperate with local regulations, draft dashboards and documents to evaluate crucial business KPIs, estimate trends with inventory coverage and more. The POS element allocates the supplied tax, purchase limits and discounts to the ideal customer groups and immediately informs you if a regulated transaction limit has been surpassed. This element also coheres with barcode scanners, ID scanners, receipt printers and cash drawers.
Since Viridian Sciences offers most of the common modules found in a seed-to-sale CRM software, there are a few more features worth mentioning. These features include:
- Hemp Tracking and Management: It’s practical for you to track and manage the entire hemp operation with this tool. It also comes with extra functions such as:
- Cultivation Management: This function tracks marijuana inventory, soil conditions, irrigation, nutrients, pesticides, foliar sprays, labor hours, equipment and other elements to streamline production. It also takes notes of costs.
- Seed-to-Sale Tracking: Tag and track seeding, specific plants and crops, harvesting, curing, processing, lab testing, distribution and retail sales with this extension.
- Costing and Valuation: This function performs ciphers of actual costs and values of particular plants.
- Processing and Extraction: Track every data point in conjunction with the processing and extraction operations when handling raw hemp for fiber or seeds, essential oils, concentrates and more with this element.
- Crop Cycle Management: Deposit data related to various marijuana crops to pinpoint the correct differences to get higher yields thanks to this function.
- Inventory Management: This extension contains inventory tracking tools to manage batch inventory or the inventory of final products.
- Vendor Relationship Management: You’re able to employ built-in customer relationship management (CRM) accessories with this function to draft and supervise personal business relationships and contracts with vendors with this element.
- Compliance Reporting: This function works with a team of Viridian Sciences researchers that work with government legislators to guarantee compliance is maintained.
- Lacking free trials.
- Lacking apps for iOS and Android devices.
Company Size Suitability: S M L
Another cloud-based seed-to-sale CRM solution preferable for companies of all sizes, Trellis is hosted on Amazon Web Servers (AWS) to dwindle the need to preserve private servers by clients. It’s used by several American and international vendors.
A preview of Trellis.
This program has various advantages that differentiate it from its competitors.
- Quality Control Management: Create inventory samples for lab testing or retention. Note test results for particular inventory goods.
- Workflow Management: Customize the platform according to internal business practices, company standards, workplaces and employee access levels.
- Disposal Tracking: Create disposable IDs and quarantines and dispose of waste effortlessly.
- Activity Log: Receive auditable and time-stamped activity logs to track all user activities.
- Purchasing Management: Condense user transactions and draft adjustable purchase orders for vendors, administer taxes and perform real-time inventory tracking.
- Packaging Management: Break down your stock into packable units and create regulatory packaging labels.
- Third-Party Integration: Sync Trellis with Metic and QuickBooks Online to streamline your procurement and accounting operations.
Identify Plants for Each Phase of Cultivation
Trellis’ cultivation management module enables you to direct every cannabis plant and batch across cultivation operations such as propagation, vegetation and flowering stages. There are a series of methods this cannabis tracking software enacts to streamline cultivation such as:
- Formulating different IDs for plants, batches, harvests and finished products in inventory.
- Hound plants around every phase of the cultivation and harvesting facet by stage, room, batch or strain.
- Input wet, dry, trim and cure weights through the harvesting stage.
- Surveil yield per plant or batch.
- Evaluate mortality rates and average ages of marijuana plants.
- Determine moisture loss.
- Track mother plants and clones as well as the efficiency of trimmers.
- Calculate critical data and upload it into state track and trace systems like marijuana enforcement tracking reporting compliance (METRC) from within the software.
Tail Manufacturing Outputs
It’s conceivable for you to manage every aspect of the manufacturing process such as extraction, refinement and completion with the manufacturing management module. It also enables you to construct a list of the manufacturing procedures your facilities implement. It’s plausible for you to monitor input sources, runs and outputs of each extraction practice and craft new tailored IDs for each output. This accessory can hound the parameters of all runs to recognize patterns, compute the sum of the bill of materials (BOM) to determine the cost per gram of each product and surveil waste products like spent trim and report on the yield per process. You are also able to initiate standard opening procedures (SOPs) for every operation like BOM and tasks delegated to employees.
Keep Up with Customer and Distributor Information
The distribution management accessory permits you to manage wholesale customer accounts and formulate live inventory feeds. It’s feasible for you to compose customer profiles and attach licenses and other documents to them, transcribe clientele interactions and look over previous purchases. This feature can promptly invent new purchase orders, invoices, order manifests and packaging labels as well as watch order stages such as approval, fulfillment and delivery.
Tend to Inventory During All Operations
Trellis’ inventory management trait can create and govern inventory amid every operation and worksite. You’re capable of manifesting specialized IDs and printable barcodes for all of your inventory items. The platform also protects your whole chain of custody records with two-factor authorizations and permission-based user pages. It conceives unique notes for all of your barcode labels.
Leverage Analytics and Customized Reports
Thanks to the real-time dashboards and custom query reports, you’ll recognize analytical trends and enhance procedure metrics in cultivation, manufacturing and sales including cost per gram, composition and age of inventory, plants by stage and mortality rates, sales by customer, stock keeping units (SKUs), etc. Custom reports can be made throughout your active or closed inventory, orders, trimmer efficiency, transfer logs and yields.
Although Trellis offers various benefits and features, it comes with a few drawbacks. These limitations include:
- Lacking apps for Android and iOS devices.
- Not providing embedded inventory audits.
Company Size Suitability: S M L
BioTrack is a cloud-based software that caters to American and international markets such as Australia, Canada, Jamaica and South America. It ensures companies stay compliant to their jurisdiction’s cannabis standards including METRC.
An example of BioTrack’s wholesale module.
- Government Solutions: The cannabis and hemp traceability solution offers tracking and reporting modules to help state and local governments enforce standards, tax collections, product quality verifications and illegal cannabis diversions and inversions.
- BI: Garner cannabis analytics information and business data to create automatic daily reports to assist users in making wiser business choices.
- White-Labeling: Draft custom labels to add various information such as company logos, contact information and more.
- Custom Workflow: Align special cannabis business needs with product lifecycles and maintain ideal operating protocols.
- On-Site Assistance: Manage on-site assistance from BioTrack field experts for all licensed cannabis businesses while evaluating cultivation yields, streamlining retail inventory and leveraging custom workflows throughout the company.
- Wholesale Marketplace: Employ Helix Exchange, an electronic and compliance marketplace, for buying, selling and tracking wholesale marijuana transactions, including all forms of THC, hemp and CBD products.
- Data Security: Leverage diverse accessories such as two-factor authentication, password encryption, timeouts from inactivity, database encryptions and more.
Upkeep Plants and Compliance
Thanks to the cultivation management accessory, you are permitted to watch plants while staying compliant with regulations and utilize modules to modify workflows, leverage yields and optimize productivity. This module also allows you to:
- Supervise and scrutinize harvest data
- Oversee nutrients and pesticides added to each marijuana plant with strain notes to elaborate light and watering cycles and investigate past harvest data to boost future yields.
- Initiate automatic reminders for teams to watch watering schedules, or nutrient and pesticide administrations.
- Document and track crossbreeding and plant genetics together with monitoring clone potency results.
- Devise custom workflows to advocate the weighing of multiple plant by-products (i.e., wet and dry) and various data collection points such as the ability to grade product quality marijuana upon curing.
Manufacture Single or Multiple By-Products
BioTrack’s manufacturing management module chronicles essential data for compliance and instantly ports necessary information for product labels. It’s possible for you to transform products into single or several by-products while tending to a thorough chain of custody, capturing cost-per-gram computations and product alerts including recalls. This accessory drafts, sends and saves compliant transportation manifests with notes on the vehicle, driver and cargo held for regulation reviews in addition to adding product details to inventory items or print information promptly on the labels such as ingredients, potency, results, expiration dates and others. You are able to wholesale varying product types, record transactions and produce invoices and purchase orders.
Keep an Eye on Online Orders
Manage online orders, customers, real-time discounts, loyalty programs, automatic data entries, purchase limits and more with the retail management accessory and POS extension. This module permits you to produce customer profiles to hold records of particular and medical preferences, purchase history and rewards points among others as well as promptly manages purchase limits of customers based on type and equivalency to keep compliance. You have the ability to install discounts based on date, time, product, brand and more. This capability also allows you to email and text movements in accordance with your clientele’s purchase behavior. This functionality can apply CRM tools to reward loyal customers and referrals while also utilizing digital menus that showcase real-time inventory data.
Lastly, initiate prompt data entry with integrated external hardware like scales, printers, terminals, labels, barcode scanners and more and even leverage the BI tool to make wise business choices.
Track Cannabis to the Exact Milligram
You have the power to maintain visibility into and govern batches of marijuana plants to the exact milligram and audit your whole inventory with the inventory management module. This tool is national type evaluation program (NTEP)-approved with certified systems that view your entire stock to respond to compliance requirements in all states.
Create Custom Reports
The custom reports module provides a structured query language (SQL)-friendly report builder to customize proprietary reports. You are able to choose from more than 100 customizable report templates with a drag-and-drop interface or send requests to BioTrack experts to construct tailored reports. These reports can be exported as CSV, PDF, or HTML files.
BioTrack offers various tools to meet your seed-to-sale needs. However, it comes with a few limitations such as:
Top Seed to Sale Cannabis Software Companies in 2022
In the cannabis industry it’s more necessary than ever that businesses are using comprehensive software solutions. From growers to dispensaries, any licensed cannabis business can benefit from a software solution to streamline their workflows and improve their bottom line.
What is seed to sale software?
Seed to sale software is an inventory management or tracking software used by a cannabis business to manage their inventory and operations. This software typically manages regulatory compliance for the cannabis operation as well.
Why do you need seed to sale software?
Cannabis companies need seed to sale software for a number of reasons: inventory control, compliance reporting, supply chain management, and the many other department needs. As cannabis operations increase in size, the industry demands more efficiencies. A seed to sale software gives cultivators, manufacturers and distributors the tools they need to automate operations and homogenize data rather than die by 1000 spreadsheets.
What are features of great seed to sale software?
Some features that make a great management software solution include:
- RFID Integration
- Compliance reporting
- Inventory tracking
- Invoicing and Purchase Order Management
- Real-time data
- Streamline workflows
- and more!
At the end of the day, the most important feature of a great solution is that it’s functionality that works for you.
What is the best Cannabis seed to sale software?
As the cannabis industry continues to grow, so does the list of seed to sale software. Here are the top options for 2022.
Founded in 2019, Canix provides a vertically integrated seed to sale software that specializes in operators needing a complete solution for multiple departments. This platform is also referred to as a cannabis ERP (Enterprise resource planning) tool. Canix provides a fully cloud-based desktop and mobile app with advanced reporting capabilities and tools built specifically for Cultivators, Manufacturers, and Distributors.
Canix offers features such as automated compliance reporting, business intelligence tools, live inventory, RFID Scanning, task management, and production planning.
Canix works for both boutique cannabis businesses as well as large, multi-state enterprises. The differentiating factor for Canix is the ease of use and employment of new age customizable technology. Unlike most providers in the industry using legacy software solutions, Canix is built on a cutting-edge tech stack that allows quick modifications on a regular basis. With Canix it takes days or weeks to complete system change-orders vs. months or years to get a simple request completed in other systems.
- Extremely customizable
- Specialized for specific industry needs
- Best in class, hands-on training and support from real people
- Extensive list of integrations
- Intuitive design
- Open API
- Newer Company
- Regular Updating that can mean regular training and interactions with the support team.
- Does not have a solution for dispensaries
Backbone is a supply chain management platform that manages the entire lifecycle from cannabis cultivation to the sale process. Backbone was founded in 2018 as a cannabis tracking software for supply chain and manufacturing. We consider Backbone to be on the higher tier of seed-to-sale and cannabis ERP with Canix.
- One of the better New Gen systems built off of Metrc.
- Robust chain of custody module for easy compliance reporting
- Primarily built for manufacturing and distribution and lacks on cultivation features.
- Also a newer company.
- They are nice folks, we don’t much to say negatively!
Built specifically for manufacturing and distribution, Distru specializes in product management, sales, and compliance. The company was founded in 2016 and was designed to bring transparency to the marketplace.
- Clean, easy to use interface
- Well build reporting
- Primarily for manufacturers and distributors with less cultivation focus
- Limited list of integrations
Cultivera was founded in 2016 and is vertically integrated. The platform supports compliance, traceability, processing, and more.
- Offers three tiers of software for a better fit for customers
- One of the first to market with lots of industry experience
- Great option for boutique cannabis companies.
- Built for cultivators (hence the name) with less tooling for manufacturers and distributors.
- Focused on small to medium businesses, not for large scale operations
Leaf Logix, which was acquired by Dutchie last year, is a fully vertical integrated platform. Their platform is one of the first of its kind to integrate with modern business intelligence platforms.
Founded in 2016, Leaf Logix was created based on seeing the inefficiencies in the software solutions at the time (MJ Freeway & Biotrack). From 2016 to 2019, Leaf Logix dominated the space of vertical operations, only recently competing with newer erp software on the market.
- Smooth point of sale solution for dispensaries
- Supports vertical operations
- Clunky user experience
- Customer support is difficult to reach and they make limited modifications to the roadmap
Growflow is a modern cloud based solution with a more user friendly interface and utilizes modern technology that can develop more rapidly than the more rigid platforms on this list. Growflow has made a large impact in the SMB space with a large portion of their customer base in Oklahoma. They have created a custom solution for the cannabis industry for cultivators, manufactures, and distributors. In 2019 they acquired Leaf POS to provide a POS offering to smaller retailers.
Founded in 2017, Growflow was initially created for the Washington market with a focus on Leaf Data System integration where a large portion of their customer base resides. Since then, they have created a simple Metrc integration and built a robust stand alone product for Non-Metrc states.
- Supports most license types
- Smooth dispensary point of sale experience
- User Friendly
- Their focus on the SMB market makes it difficult to provide enterprise level solutions
- Customer support is difficult for them as well due to the volume of SMB clients
BioTrackTHC, a subsidiary of Helix TCS, Inc., is an all-in-one cannabis tracking solution for both seed-to-sale and track-and-trace. The software has features for cultivators, distributors, and a point of sale solution for retailers to track the entire supply chain.
BioTrackTHC provides on-premise server based solutions throughout the world. In addition to seed to sale technology, BioTrack also provides the state mandated track-and-trace solutions for the following states: Arkansas, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, New Hampshire, New Mexico, and New York.
BioTrack was founded in 2010 and is one of the world’s largest seed to sale systems operating in 7 countries. They were among the first software providers in the industry and have developed their system with both operators and state governments into a platform for compliance and reporting.
- First to Market with years of experience, they have a large feature set
- Has reliable data models and a consistent system
- International Presence – They have knowledge of many different markets and operational workflows
- Rigid product built with legacy technology and the product has matured without industry standards and market needs being fully established
- On Premise Solution that requires server maintenance and additional technical staff to maintain hardware. This also insures additional upfront cost
- Provides both Government Software and Seed to Sale software – Built in conflict of interest
MJ Freeway, a subsidiary of Akerna and known also as MJ Platform, is the other legacy platform in the industry related to the BioTrack solution. With a similar offering and business model as BioTrackTHC and MJ Platform are often considered in the same category of the seed to sale and government based track and trace systems. With the core difference being the MJ Platform’s cloud based approach vs. on premises server side construction.
MJ Platform rolled up into parent company, Akerna, the conglomerate with portfolio companies including: Ample Organics, Trellis, Leaf Data Systems, Viridian Sciences, and Solo Sciences. Through Leaf data systems, MJ Freeway operates the state mandated track and trace system for the following states: Pennsylvania, Washington, and Utah. With access to the MJ Platform you will have access to their various portfolio offerings which span across the entire market.
Founded in 2010, MJ Freeway developed themselves as an all-in-one solution providing software services to the entire industry. They have helped pave the way for cannabi companies to adopt software into their business processes.
- First to Market with years of experience, they have a large feature set.
- Has reliable data models at this point and a consistent system
- Expansive reach with large product offering through acquisitions.
- Provides both Government Software and Seed to Sale software – Build in conflict of interest
- Lack of Focus; they have gone public and are buying market share leads to product related problems and the path to a unified product through acquisitions is a long and difficult path
- Poorly built software according to online reviews
Flourish is another modern cloud based solution with a user friendly interface. They provide services for a number of SMB and enterprise customers along the entire supply chain.
Founded in 2017, Flourish is among the second wave of more modern solutions developed for the industry. They also have followed the trajectory of building for vertical operations from the onset while also servicing SMB companies which cause a number of conflicts during product development. Overall they are a good company that we’ve heard better things about their reputation than many in the industry.
- Supports Vertical Operations
- Their later founding enabled them to develop newer age tooling for operators
- User Friendly
- They started with vertical operations from the onset which typically creates a wide feature offering but lacks the depth in feature usefulness
- Can be expensive
Roshi is a solution for cultivators, processors, manufacturers and distributors that was founded in 2018. They offer automation tools to cannabis companies for inventory management and regulatory compliance reporting.
- Cheaper than other software solutions
- Simple to use software
- Has not grown much in the last few years
- Slow to develop new features
Which software is right for your cannabis business?
There are lots of software options in the cannabis industry, and this list only scratches the surface.
So here are some suggestions for deciding which software is right for your company:
- Read the reviews of cannabis software companies. It’s a good idea to see how others have liked the options and you may learn of another functionality you didn’t know you were looking for.
- Check out the software roadmap on their site. Even if a software doesn’t have the feature you are looking for today, they may be releasing it next week. The best companies are constantly iterating and releasing new features regularly.
Interested in the top product? Schedule a Canix demo to discover how easy it is to implement a seed to sale software for your cannabis business today!